Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Flavor a la Low Sodium


Rice and chicken, chicken and rice.  I'll eat them, I like them, but if you told me I couldn't have either again, I wouldn't be heartbroken.  And since I don't eat either on the regular, I didn't mind one bit when tasked with providing a flavorful, low sodium, rice recipe.

I can unbiasedly say that boiled bone-in chicken is highly underrated.  It's tasty, healthy, and most importantly, hard to mess up.

1 Carrot
2 Celery Stalks
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 lb of Drumsticks
2 Serrano or Jalapeno Peppers (guts removed)
2 Spanish Onions
Boil in Bag Brown Rice
1-2 Handfulls of Long Leaf Spinach
1 Tbsp Earth Balance "butter" or real butter

Chop veggies into big pieces.  Boil water in a large pot and add veggies and drumsticks.  Reduce heat to medium, cover, and boil for 30 minutes.  Remove drumsticks and add rice bag to chicken broth.  Remove skin, cut chicken off the bone, and set aside.  When the rice is finished, remove the rice and veggies with a slatted spoon.  Add spinach leaves to chicken broth until they are wilted and remove.  Strain excess water from spinach leaves.  Mix "butter", chicken, and rice.  Add seasoning to taste.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails